An important portion of my close friends recently found Twitter so I’ve decided to make the effort to re-create my account and use it.
The core service is just about as consistent and stable as I remember it being last year, but I do have to say that the web site seems to be incredibly less stable than it used to be. It should not take me six attempts to do something as innocuous as fill out my profile information. Using the system through a non-web method is very highly recommended.
To that end, I’m making use of two particular tools this time around:
- TeleTwitter seems to be one of the better windows desktop clients. Certainly not perfect, but I liked it slightly better than Twitterlicious and Twitteroo or the rest of the dozen or so clients I tried.
- I have spliced in my Google Reader Shared Items feed using a service called TwitterFeed so that when I share an item it shows up as a Tweet from me. So far it’s working pretty well though the character limits in Twitter make some of them less readable than others. I chose TwitterFeed over rss2Twitter based solely on TwitterFeed supporting OpenID.
I’m trying to decide if I am going to use TwitterFeed to splice the RSS from this blog into the flow as well. I could just share my own articles from Google Reader, but that seems slightly disingenuous since I don’t actually think all of my blog posts are actually worth marking as shared. Though I could effectively replace the Google Reader sidebar on the right with a similar item of my Tweets since that will have my shared items in it too.