One of the things that I like about the Zune is that it has podcast support that is more like how I really use them rather than the way they work with iTunes. It’s not perfect by any stretch (Why can’t I squirt a podcast?) but it’s generally very good. Good enough that I’m looking for more content to listen to.
I have two very different kinds of podcasts that I listen to for very different environments. I find that I can’t listen to people talking without having to pay attention to them, at least if I want to get anything out of it. This is just as true of talk radio as it is of audio books. I also find that after 45 minutes of people yakking I get really, really bored pretty quickly but I find items less than 10min long to not be worth the effort to fiddle with the player to listen to (Not perfect #2: Can’t put them in playlists). Which is really unfortunate since I otherwise would have a couple of really short items that I do like (The Engines of Our Ingenuity being a prime example).
So here’s what I’m currently listening to:
- BrassCast (Brass band music)
- Savage LoveCast (Dan Savage)
- Major Nelson (Xbox gaming. I often end up fast forwarding through much of it)
- Dear Science (Science commentary. Deciding if I’m going to keep it.)
- Car Talk (NPR show)
- This American Life (NPR show)
- Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me (NPR show)
- Windows Weekly (Tech news)
- Radio Lab (NPR show)
- They Might Be Giants (Oddities and live stuff from the band
- Counter Intelligence (Star Tribune dining and food podcast)
I also really used to love SpaceMusic, but that shifted to a paid subscription model a year or so ago. Though looking on the site now there does appear to be some free stuff again so maybe I’ll take a look at them again.
Any suggestions anyone?